Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Writing Process


Coffman, Drew "Writer's Block"

1. As a writer

  • I tend to be a Heavy Reviser
  • I normally write several rough drafts of the paper - I don't plan and draw concept maps as much as I write everything that comes to mind and then cut/trim later
  • I usually hate everything I write the first time, and sometimes I get discouraged in the middle of the process
  • Usually my best inspiration comes after several failed attempts and conferences with other writers. 
  • I spend a lot of time and energy revising - but I am often proud of my end result.
2. My other techniques 
  • I don't really revert from the above technique. I really rely on rough drafts to complete my writing process.
3. Strengths and Weaknesses
  • Strength: Unhindered writing process
  • Strength: Does not discard any potentially strong ideas too early in the process
  • Weakness: Revision process is long and sometimes frustrating
  • Weakness: Rough drafts are often incomplete and well, rough.
4. Other Approaches
      I would like to try incorporating some more planning in my process without becoming too encumbered with trying to be perfect on the first draft.

2 comments:

  1. Your process sounds really healthy and structural. As a natural procrastinator, I'm envious!

    What about when you write in other kinds of genres? Emails, letters, social media posts, presentations, other kinds of stuff. Are you always really methodical with how you write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do use the same process. I am the type of person who reads a text or email five times before sending - I think I am a chronic reviser

      Delete